REVIEW : The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Sunday, April 14, 2013

REVIEW : The Host by Stephenie Meyer


The Host

Author      : Stephenie Meyer
Publisher   :
U.S : Little Brown and Company
Indonesia : Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Source      : Bought
Pages        : 770 (Paperback)

Summary from Goodreads :
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring what may be the first love triangle involving only two bodies, The Host is a riveting and unforgettable novel that will bring a vast new readership to one of the most compelling writers of our time.

YIPPIE!
I'm soooo happy I could fulfil my very first resolution of this year, to finish this book before the movie comes out! =D
(P.S : ignore the fact that I post this later than the movie, I was procrastinating like usual *poke*)

Before, I was kind of intimidated by the thickness of this book which is over 700 for translation version, wew! I was afraid I could not enjoy this book, because somehow I had a little prejudice of stories about alien and I found the summary was not really interesting for me. But in the end I successfully finished this book and wow, I totally LOVED this! Surprisingly I still could enjoy Stephenie Meyer's writing after I haven't read any from her for a while. The story is really original, moves in slow rhythm but I found it flows very nicely and thoroughly. The thickness is a proof that Meyer put her best effort, passion and totality into this book, both of the setting and the characters she made, and I appreciated it a lot. Beside the light sci-fi elements that I believe could be enjoyed by everyone, I loved that this book explores more about the characters, emotions and relationship between them. Also it brings quite an irony image, how if even a certain alien race behaves more human than human themselves. They even more civilized and have a lot good side that human almost loss these days until we actually think maybe they could fix this world. Very provoking thoughts but really fascinating as well!

I loved that this book is not merely a simple love story about two girls that fight over a guy, I had been really afraid of it. Gladly it is very unique, and more complicated than that and I actually enjoyed it and happy with how it's solved. Every characters in this book are very distinct and unique, even side characters and I really enjoyed to know more about each of them. Melanie probably has strong voices but sometimes I got annoyed with her. Instead, I loved Wanda because she has loads of human goodness inside her. I also loved to read how she inspires her surrounding, grows to love and to be loved by people, humans around her and how she develops a sweet relationship with Ian. And I'm totally team Ian, by the way ;)

Sadly, I think this book is not one of 'everybody must like' type book. We see a lot dystopia with fast-pace or action-packed stories these days and those who expect this book is one of it, they would be (really) disappointed. But this book is worth a try, especially for those who love story with a lot developments, emotional, meaningful and inspiring reading and probably also those who almost lost faith in Stephenie Meyer's because I think this book is quite different from Twilight and it's better, a lot.
From the end scene, this book could be a stand-alone, but I would be really happy if Meyer decides to continue this great series! =)

Happy reading, peeps! ;)




0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)