REVIEW : Die For Me by Amy Plum

Saturday, February 23, 2013

REVIEW : Die For Me by Amy Plum


Die For Me

Author      : Amy Plum
Publisher   : ATOM (UK version)
Source      : Bought
Pages        : 435 (Paperback)

Summary from Goodreads :
My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were moving to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my life would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, he put me in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen . . . until I realized that Vincent Delacroix is no normal human--that he has a terrifying destiny and enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

Can I risk everything for love?

Book trailer :


Cover Glimpse :
Look at it, isn't that so gorgeous??? The cover only is looked really compelling!
I really like how the girl with red dress is posed backward, facing the city ahead, and I spot Eiffel Tower which represent where the story sets in. The pale skin and black swirls that seem creeping on her body add mysterious feeling and you would guess the story is not ordinary.

Review :
Wow, Die For Me is as gorgeous as the cover!

This book was fascinating in many ways. Amy Plum's writing was really great and enjoyable. It flows smoothly and in a right pace, not too rushed not too slow and also well-balanced, it's not only focusing on one element. It has a sweet love story and yet also surprising the other is that she didn't use any kind of undead creature we've known before, instead she created her own, a unique tale about a new kind of undead creature with such a wonderful characters and yes, in one of the most gorgeous city in the world, Paris! Her vivid and detail explanation about some places in this book made me want to go there so bad!

I really like the concept about Revenant. Basically it's kind of Zombie, I've never read book about zombie before so I was kind of excited (though I'm not really a fan of it, I even don't dare myself to watch Walking Dead, by the way) and this one is a better one, a lot better because they appear normal like most human being, except for what they're capable of and their certain routine to gain their power back. Very cool yet very horrific when I imagined what's their purpose and what they have to go through to fulfil it. Although it's not one of the usual dark creature like what we've known all this time, it seems quite convincing and believable, not awkward at all.

The characters both main and support here are very easy to be loved. Kate is an awesome heroine who is progressively developed. She grows stronger and more composed, still can think logically about how Vincent's identity could affect their relationship despite of her deep feeling toward him. I really understand her fear of being hurt by Vincent's compulsion to keep dying. I liked her being honest about her thoughts to Vincent but still willing to fight for their love. About the hero(es) in this book, let me tell you that 'old-fashion' guy(s) have a special place in my heart, and Amy Plum makes perfect ones. I even confused which one was my favorite, Vincent or Jules. Both of them are like chivalrous gentlemen from the past; well, they're literally from the past; with their own traits and charms. Vincent is kind, respectful, pure selfless and also very romantic; then Jules who actually barely appears in this book looks more humorous gentleman. I'd love to read more about Jules on the next book. Then also I loved to read some of other Revenants who are more like family to Vincent and loved to see that they have their own story and problems too. It makes this book more rich and enjoyable to me.

However, I need to admit that this book has some similarities with Twilight, some things of the story strongly remind me to it, the obvious ones are like the condition of Kate and Vincent; a human, ordinary girl and a mysterious guy with dark secret; and Vincent's Revenants family which could slightly remind us with The Cullens. And to be honest, when I realized about it there was a pang of disappointment in me, thought that I would read the same formula like this over and over again though I actually don't really hate it. But as I went further into the story, I found that despite of those similarities, Die For Me still shines brightly on its own way among any paranormal romance I've ever read. I can't wait to read Until I Die that already sits prettily on my shelf.

So peeps, if you are a paranormal-romance fan, or specifically you love(d) Twilight saga, please do check out this charming series. I believe you won't be disappointed.
Happy reading! =)




1 comment :

  1. I agree that there are some similarities but for me there was enough original in it to overpower the similarities. I absolutely loved this book. Can't wait to continue the series. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)