REVIEW : City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

REVIEW : City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare


City of Lost Souls

Author      : Cassandra Clare
Publisher   : Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source      : Bought
Pages        : 534 (Hardcover)

Summary from Goodreads :
The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon.

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.



While I write this review, I assume you guys have read already or at least warned about how City of Fallen Angel ended, because it's REALLY HARD to write this down without spoiling a bit.

I prepared myself a bit longer to read this book, in other word I was letting it stay too long on my shelf which is very funny because I was literally anxiously biting my nail when this book was still on its way *facepalm*. Although I really love this series too much, I was seriously afraid of what I would find inside this book, you know what I mean if you already read City of Fallen Angel. Then finally I gathered my guts to pick it out from my shelf aaaaaand... I was so glad it's still amazing like before, not really gripping because I still could put it down and getting distracted by other things and I took a long time to finish this book, but still it's amazing. I know that something really really BIG is missing here (and that kind of made me sad) but I still could manage to enjoy this book.

The point of this book is a process to get Jace back to the Team Good after he has vanished along with Sebastian's body for some weeks after CoFA's ending. We still can find him, but for some reasons, Jace we see here is not really the old Jace we've known. Because of that circumstances, we can say that Jace isn't the main character in this book, for now. In one side that's a big loss, especially for those who have been loving him since the first 3 books. I did feel the same way. I really miss his old self which is carefree and crackingly sarcastic. But on the other side, I was happy because because Clare gave her secondary characters to shine and make us love or hate and understand them more than before, like Simon, Isabelle, Alec, Magnus, Kyle, Maia, and even Sebastian.

I think I definitely adore Clary now. She's smart, very determined, impulsive and brave, even willing risk her own life to save Jace. I was beyond relief that Jace's love to Clary is so big and nothing can change it. Their love scenes are still sweet and sizzlin' hot but still, I really missed their witty and sarcastic banters.
Characters that also quite stand out are Simon and Isabelle. Simon seems like the one who brings the light with his jokes, well, with Magnus actually. I always love Simon, he's still a faithful and funny best-boy-friend for Clary (how I envy her for him) and I was silently rooting him for developing his relationship with Isabelle.
We get a chance to know more about Sebastian here, and honestly the more I knew him, the more I wanted to pity him. 'What if' questions kept popping in my mind and I was like assuring myself that he actually could be a good guy. But well, I can tell that he's absolutely an evil guy.

I also found that Clare shows the connection between Mortal Instruments world and Infernal Devices's and they made the whole Shadowhunter world more fun for me! =D. There are plenty ID's things scattering inside some chapters beside we already have known, and even there's one character that makes me wondering who is him until now. I've read some prediction from people out there but yet we still have to know the truth on next book.

City of Lost Soul, although somehow it's not as good as the previous es, is still a great sequel. It has generally very satisfying ending (I literally sighed a relief because of this =D) although something surprising (or probably heartbreaking) also happens. I won't tell what it is, just, well, be aware =). For Indonesian fellows, we have to be proud because Clare put us in her acknowledgement, and she makes us having a STRONG connection with Magnus. He has our blood guys, even says 'aku cinta kamu' (which means 'i love you') although it's for other condition. I did feel great after Magnus said it. XD
I already can't wait to get the last book, City of Heavenly Fire, how Clare conclude this awesome series of her. So guys, you have to read this soon, and for those who haven't start this series yet, you need to so you can feel how awesome this series is! =D

Happy reading! ;)




0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)