REVIEW : Marshmallow Skye by Cathy Cassidy

Thursday, June 7, 2012

REVIEW : Marshmallow Skye by Cathy Cassidy


Marshmallow Skye (Chocolate Box Girls #2)

Author      : Cathy Cassidy
Publisher   : UFUK
Source      : Bought
Pages        : 369 (Paperback)

Summary from Goodreads :
SKYE TANBERRY is an identical twin, and she loves her sister Summer more than anyone else in the world. They do everything together, but lately Skye's been feeling like second-best - it's the story of her life. And when her friend Alfie confesses he's fallen for Summer, she pretends it doesn't hurt.

Skye wants to be her own person; but with an effortlessly cool twin, how can she? Will Skye ever step out of Summer's shadow and find her own chance to shine?

Every time I bring this book along with Cherry Crush, I feel like bring two boxes of delicious chocolate that ready to be devoured by myself *looks yummy!*, well obviously it has that design . But personally I do think that way, because I'm already in love with this series although it still has only 2 books! Both share the same taste: brilliantly written, cute, simple and heartwarming family bond, but I can say Marshmallow Skye is a bit different. This book has no single 'real' love scene even at first it looks like a sad love story, but oddly I could feel it and it's oddly beautiful. Somehow the story remind me of the old song "I Knew I Loved You Before I Met You" by Savage Garden which I think that was ridiculously impossible at that moment. But this book makes it possible in very sweet way =D

Skye Tanberry is in dilemmas. She loves Summer, her inseparable identical sister, more than anyone else in this world, yes, but finally that time comes when she realizes how weird she is compared to her perfect twin sister (her obsession over vintage things is kinda weird for 15 years old young girl), feels so tired to be the second best, to be Summer's shadow although they share the same face and love. Then one day she finds a trunk full with things from the past at the spooky-rumoured cellar of Tanberry's house, and those things belong to one old relative, Clara Travers, who had committed suicide because she couldn't be with someone she loved, a gypsy guy. Since then Skye only cares about the old tragic love story, old clothes and letters from that trunk and starts to have a weird dreams, likely she is Clara, together with a gypsy boy who predicted as the one she loves. Skye also gradually falls in love with the boy in her dream but sure it's impossible to love someone who doesn't exist, or literally, a ghost from the past. Always be the second best and fall for a ghost, can't life be more misarable for her. But is it really that miserable?

This book was rather giving a melancholic feeling to me. Skye is so pitiful because she's tortured by her own negative thoughts, but strangely I felt a strong connection with her, for some reason I can understand her down feeling very well. At one time I was like wanting to shout to her ear "Oh please Skye, you're already so AWESOME so shut those negativities up! Believe in yourself!" kind, but then I thought I had no right to tell her so because sometimes I can be insecured like her, felt like other is better than me, I'm so odd no one could understand me and so on. But although she seems low spirited, I loved her determination to keep being herself in her unique way, keep being different and stand out with her own charms, not trying to be someone else she doesn't want to be to make people love her.
Skye maybe is my favorite one among Tanberry sisters. She's like the cool, calm, and mature version of her twin and her obsession over old and vintage things add romantic and sentimental image on her. And yes, I can say that what happen on her at this book is really magically romantic! I was deeply inhaling while reading the last part and really can't wait to see more about this couple! =D

What I also love about this series is the settings and how Cassidy explained it through words. They have a beautiful and mysterious impression, like old house where the Tanberry lives that hold some mysteries, an old Gypsy caravan where used to be Cherry's room, a cellar that has been keeping many goods from the past, even Clara's old bird cage that Summer uses to display some flowers. And don't forget, their dad's creative chocolate creations! Yummy~. My mind was busy imagining them all, wondering if I could live in a place like that with a unique family like Tanberry sisters, I would be soooooo happy! =D
We also find the other family members that have been appearing since Cherry Crush like Mom and Dad, Honey, Cherry, Summer, Coco even Shay, and the family drama also enrich the whole story. I enjoyed that this story not only focusing on Skye (although she gets the biggest part, of course) but the whole family get a situation development too.

Overall, actually this is a middle grade reading but I think it's definitely nothing wrong if we the olders read and love this book. It's simply cute, sweet, addicting and magically heartwarming, well, like marshmallow =D. It's also a good story with strong family bond and drama about the processes of acceptance and forgiveness between family members. I definitely can't wait to read the next sequels, about the other sisters and love to see Skye and her boyfriend-to-be again.
Happy reading! ;)



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)