REVIEW : Oh.My.Gods by Tera Lynn Childs

Monday, January 9, 2012

REVIEW : Oh.My.Gods by Tera Lynn Childs


Oh.My.Gods

Author     : Tera Lynn Childs
Publisher  : Elexmedia
Source     : Bought
Pages       : 281


Blurb from Goodreads :
A modern girl's comedic odyssey in a school filled with the descendants of Greek gods.
When Phoebe's mom returns from Greece with a new husband and moves them to an island in the Aegean, Phoebe's plans for her senior year and track season are ancient history. Now she must attend the uberexclusive academy, where admission depends on pedigree, namely, ancestry from Zeus, Hera, and other Greek gods. That's right, they're real, not myth, and their teen descendants are like the classical heroes supersmart and superbeautiful with a few superpowers. And now they're on her track team! Armed only with her Nikes and the will to win, Phoebe races to find her place among the gods.

This is the first Tera Lynn Child book I read and I loved her writing style =D
What did attract me to this novel? I was like "Oh My Gah, it's hot pink!" when I see the side part. I guess it would be cute standing at my shelf. LOL. Many thanks to the publisher here for released it with the original cover. Second is the story. Teenage high school drama mixed with mythology and gods, a bit reminded me to Percy Jackson series, so I gave it a try. And It did as cute as the cover =)

Oh. My. Gods is about a girl, Phoebe Castro, who suddenly has her fate get twisted and changes in one day, when her mom tell her she will re-married again. And because of that she has to moves too far from her recent place at US, to Serfopoula island at The Aegean, Greece, and she finds shocking truth about Zeus and his crew. They aren't just a mythology, moreover they have many descendants, not-too-friendly demigods (half human half god) and Phoebe has to lives with them from now on. Things become more complicated when she falls in love with a descendant of Ares, Griffin, who already has a girlfriend, and she involves with a wicked plan Stella, her step sister made.

I really enjoyed Phoebe's voice, she is funny and sarcastic. I giggled many times of her foolish and funny dialogue. She is very passionate and focus to achieve her dream at the track field, and she does her best for it. And also I was glad Childs made her as a very strong and smart girl. Her demigod friends who have supernatural power sometimes do bully her, and she doesn't hesitate to fight back. It's also very nice to see her awesomely good friends, like Cesca and Nola who are loyal to her, and of course Nicole and Troy, her demigod friends.

The love story between Phoebe and Griffin is a bit lacking for me. We see this story from Phoebe's eyes so we couldn't really know what made Griffin falls in love with her. Griffin acts like a bastard and over-showed his affection toward Adara publicy which made me not really like him. Then suddenly bam! Griffin confesses to Phoebe that he likes her. A bit odd since he didn't show anything related his feeling toward Phoebe before, even he communicates with Phoebe just in a short time, at the track training. Somehow it's better if Phoebe picked Troy instead Griffin, Troy is better and cute. But well, I still enjoyed it though, at least Griffin becomes a better person after he dates Phoebe =)

Overall, Oh.My.Gods is very refreshing and fun, I almost can't put it down so I give it high rating. The story is very light and predictable although there are still some mysteries like who is Nicole's god ancestor xD. So don't expect any twisted storyline, or even compare it to Percy Jackson although it has the same theme and situation, you'll be disappointed.


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)