REVIEW : Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

REVIEW : Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs


Goddess Boot Camp

Author     : Tera Lynn Childs
Publisher  : Elexmedia
Source     : Bought
Pages       : 386

Summary from Goodreads :
Phoebe, who recently discovered she's a descendant of Nike (the goddess, not the shoe), is finding that supernatural powers come with a crazy learning curve. Her stepfather, headmaster of the Academy for descendants of the Greek gods, has enrolled her at Dynamotheos Development Camp - aka Goddess Boot Camp - with a bunch of ten-year-olds for the summer. Embarrassing as that is, hopefully it'll help her gain control over her powers in time to pass the test of the gods, continue training hard enough to qualify for the Pythian Games, and enjoy her godly boyfriend, Griffin, all while avoiding the ultimate mistake of accidentally misusing powers.

It's another fast-paced myth-inspired heroine's quest that's sure to bring out the goddess in anyone.

Before you read this review, I suggest to read OMG first, because I might write spoilers from it here.

I read Goddess Boot Camp almost right after Oh. My. Gods, so I could relate both of these books. I really enjoyed reading O.M.G, its witty dialogue and Phoebe sarcasm were really amusing and made me giggled alot. Because of that I had high expectation over GBC and really glad it was published while I haven't read O.M.G so I could read them straight. After I finished it, I have to say the first book is still my favorite than this book, although it did quite enjoyable and I still laughed at Phoebe's witty and follish POV.

Phoebe is really busy at this book. She's enrolled to a special camp to help her controlling her overflowing power because she's a close descendant of Nike, the goddess of triumph and gods already kept an eye on her, afraid she would use her power accidentally for her own glory. Moreover what more give her pain is the fact that she would spend her days on that camp with 2 person she dislike the most, Stella and Adara, as her mentors. While Phoebe also has to prepare for Phytian Games with Griffin her boyfriend, she finds out that Griffin lies to her many times and secretly meets Adara without telling her. Like she can't be more busy anymore, someone unknown tells her there's a documentation about her father's execution and she wants to find out more about it, although it's not easy and definitely dangerous.

I did understand that she's absolutely mad, ashamed (because she has to attend the camp for 10 years old young girls), and jealous, but she also slightly becomes irritating, well, like a mad and jealous girl in her age, whines and misjudges everything. At this book too we find that Stella and Adara aren't that bad, especially Stella. She seems sincerely helping Phoebe with her but Phoebe threat her bad at first.
Thankfully, Griffin quite grew on me at this book. He's very good boyfriend for Phoebe (or being a good guy since he dates her), loves and cares about her even when Phoebe ignores him.
We also introduce to some new characters like Xander and Tansy and some campers but I didn't really know them well, except Xander is another mentor, and Tansy is a young girl who also interest on running. When I read Xander name appearing, I was hoping he'd be the third person between Phoebe and Griffin but yeah it didn't happen.

This book is just okay, a really light reading. There's no twisted plots, doesn't force you to think, and I have to say, nothing special in it. I thought once the story would develop and grow more interesting after Phoebe got her power but hm... nothing. Personal matters do develop here, but no for the plot. I just curious does this series only consist 2 books? Because I felt it hasn't ended yet and the mysteries from OMG are still unanswered.
Gonna wait for further information about this series =)



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)