REVIEW : Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

REVIEW : Unearthly by Cynthia Hand


Unearthly

Author      : Cynthia Hand
Publisher   : HarperCollins
Source      : Bought
Pages        : 435 (Paperback)

Summary from Goodreads :
When Clara Gardner learns she's part angel, her entire life changes. She now has a purpose, a specific task she was put on this earth to accomplish, except she doesn't know what it is. Her visions of a raging forest fire and a mysterious boy lead her to a new high school in a new town but provide no clear instruction. As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make--between the boy in her vision and the boy in her life, between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. . . . When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Book trailer :


Review :
I thought these days I already got enough of supernatural beings like Vampires or Werewolves, and also Angel. Aside of The Mortal Instruments (which I really LOVE), I had a hard time with some Angel-theme series like Fallen and Hush Hush, both were frustrating me very much. But then I saw my paperback copy of Unearthly sitting there prettily for quite a long time and well, also being pushed by gazillion amazing reviews about this book, finally I decided to give a try at the edge of year 2012 (yeah totally procrastinating). And guess what? So glad I did and I loved this book! =D. Really nice to know that a good angel series doesn't need to be all gloomy, moody and angst so it didn't ruin my mood over this book.

The angel or half-angel concept in this book is quite unique and different from any reading in the same theme I've read. Despite of supernatural-like premise about Clara, a half angel half human who is seeking what's her true purpose based on some vision's fragments that struck her, this book is nicely flowing, down-to-earth and the story is quite close to basic daily life. It's like reading contemporary romance with sort of supernatural twists and mysteries here and there, some were surprising me though, and that's quite refreshing.

Clara is very likable and her voice is pretty easy to follow. Though she has known herself as a half-angel for quite some times, she still needs to find what her true purpose is and I enjoyed her journey to find it out. To be honest, I still can't choose between Tucker and Christian. Tucker is a ranch boy type that I adore, who seems to brighten your mood every time he makes appearances and Christian with his cool and mysterious vibes. I can understand very well Clara's confusion over these two guys because Hand created such appealing boys for her but well, I really excited to see who Clara will end with.

For you who recently get disappointed with some angel series like I did, I suggest you to try this one. Maybe Unearthly could fix it at least a bit. The twist of fate at the end... wow, I really didn't see it coming! Surely I have to get Hallowed pretty soon, really curious what would happen next!



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)