REVIEW : Desires of The Dead by Kimberly Derting

Friday, December 14, 2012

REVIEW : Desires of The Dead by Kimberly Derting


Desires of The Dead

Author      : Kimberly Derting
Publisher   : Headlines
Source      : Bought
Pages        : 358 (Paperback)

Summary from Goodreads :
Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrnng. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

Watch the book trailer :


Cover Glimpse :
I own the UK version, so physically the height is different from previous book, kind of disturbing. But thankfully the cover art is matched with The Body Finder, simple and beautiful so I guess it's fine for now.

2cents :
I really love The Body Finder and started the sequel, Desires of The Dead right after I finished it (which was long time ago, I'm an acute procrastinator, so sorry =_=). I'm still awed with Derting's idea about a girl with scary ability, finding dead bodies at any place she stands, yet she still manages to stay strong even without a doubt uses it for good purposes. The plot, although is quite light since it's for young readers, is still suspensefully haunting and fascinating, made me staying awake at night and a bit worried to look over my dark window. Yeah it affected me just like that. Somehow I found I enjoyed The Body Finder more than the sequel but I think this book has a great development of the characters and the story as well.

As Violet's ability grows stronger and irresistible, she also becomes more daring at using it. She keeps putting herself into dangerous situation to reveal the death body and the murderer she has been tracing, until unconsciously she exposes herself to unexpected person. She also faces a stalker and pranks, the one that is not funny at all, creepy even it made me cringe. For some moments I was afraid of her determination, but at the same time I was really proud of her because she realizes she can use her ability to help others. I was kind of expecting that there would be a story where Violet will get involved with the authorities, in this case FBI, and it happens in this book. It was really exciting to me since I really love cops and FBI tv series. There are new characters appearing because of her involvement with the FBI, Sara and Rafe. They're still mysterious, especially I'm intrigued with Rafe who seems possessing some kind of special ability and has a potential to be a person between Violet and Jay. Really interesting. Yes, triangle love, sometimes I enjoy it =D. I really want to know how Derting would develop Rafe's role in this series.

Jay, her best-est friend turns boyfriend seems putting attention more to his new friend and his little sister who seems having a crush on him. As a new teen couple, it's normal to be a bit more protective and being jealous, but somehow Violet's thoughts were frustrating and a bit too much and ridiculous. I mean, hey, this is Jay, a wonderful boy who can be your very best-est friend and an amazing boyfriend at the same time, who also has been keeping your very most secret tightly. But I was glad Derting didn't drag the new couple problem out and the main focus is still Violet's ability as a Body Finder and Jay who supports and protects her endlessly.

As a second novel this book definitely isn't a turning down. The characters are still very lovely and smart, Violet and Jay probably one of my favorite YA couple. I do give a lower rating than The Body Finder because of personal thoughts (the murder case is less thrilling than in the previous book, the stalker thing is still scary though), but the story grows more exciting as the FBI also getting involved. I really can't wait to hand the third book, The Last Echo. This series is a must read for you who enjoy thriller-suspense, mystery, detective story with sweet yet sizzling hawt love story.
Happy reading! ^^



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)