REVIEW : Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

Saturday, October 20, 2012

REVIEW : Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead


Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy #6)

Author      : Richelle Mead
Publisher   : Razorbill
Source      : Bought
Pages        : 594 (Hardcover)

Summary from Goodreads :
They come first.

My vision was growing dimmer, the blackness and ghosts closing in. I swore it was like I could hear Robert whispering in my ear: The world of the dead won't give you up a second time. Just before the light completely vanished, I saw Dimitri's face join Lissa's. I wanted to smile. I decided then that if the two people I loved most were safe, I could leave this world.

The dead could finally have me.


Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules. She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir's Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardians to come.

Now the law has finally caught up with Rose - for a crime she didn't even commit. She's in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She'll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.

But the clock on Rose's life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back...and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your whole life is about saving others, who will save you?

Join Rose, Dimitri, Adrian, and Lissa in Last Sacrifice, the epic, unforgettable finale to Richelle Mead's international #1 bestselling Vampire Academy series.


Cover Glimpse :
Probably the most favorite cover from all (although I've stated the series cover isn't my fave). I don't know why. Maybe because the expression? The color? I don't know. I just like it =)
*the lamest explanation of all*

2cents :

“Ah, my daughter,ʺ he said. ʺEighteen, and already youʹve been accused of murder, aided felons, and acquired a death count higher than most guardians will ever see.ʺ He paused. ʺI couldnʹt be prouder.”

- Abe Mazur referring to Rose
Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

So finally one of my most favorite series ever has come to the end. I was all both excited and sad at the same time when the time to read this book came.

*sniff*

This book gave me such a complex state of emotion. Full of excitements, tensions, happiness, and grief, I have no other words but I totally agree what the blurb said : this book is the epic, fantastic, heart-wretching, unforgettable finale of Vampire Academy series. I really admire Richelle Mead, like again and again, because from book one till the last one, she never fail to amaze and surprise me with twists and turns of events and characters. It's very rare to find a series, or an author who keeps impressed you from the start till the end, and Mead is one of that rare thing for me. ALL HAIL Richelle Mead! 8D

I have a serious problem at reviewing this book without spoil A LOT from it. I want to give a clear explanation about what this book about but yet I would kind of spoil everything happened on both Spirit Bound and this one too! *dizzy*. Okay then just aware that this contain spoilers *sigh*

At very first I was pretty scared while read the title. LAST SACRIFICE??? WHO THE HELL WOULD GIVE HER LAST SACRIFICE??? And well, there are a lot sacrifices here which I didn't see it coming from several characters.
This book is, like usual, divided by 2 major stories; Rose's journey to seek and reveal the biggest thing that might change the whole Moroi world, that thing related to Lissa, and she's not alone, instead Dimitri accompany her along (I was being frantic and happy at this part, no offense, Team Adrian =p); and Lissa's attempts to clear Rose's name with searching the real Tatiana's murderer and also prepare herself to participate on Moroi's ruthless politic world. At the process, Rose meets old and new people, community even; I have to say, for some reason I was happy to meet Sidney again =p; who each of them really has a meaning to be there, sooner or later. This book ends very 'grandly', although there's a bit guilt, a part of my heart and mind found their peace and I fully satisfied with it.

What I really love from this book is how everything turns to be so complicated and how Mead also includes complex things like politics, social class, and cultures in Moroi world (reading those quite dizzied my head a bit), and somehow all events have been very well planned from the start. It flows and connected to each other, and how no single character appears and being useless. And also the best part is the distinct character development which happen based on several situation each of them went through. Rose, indeed, never failed to be awesome; awesomely strong, persevere and simple-minded (action-first-think-later thing) but also an awesome learner from her mistakes. She's no doubt the best YA heroine ever for me =). The post-Strigoi Dimitri also happens to change a lot and I admit I love him better here, he's maturer, quite lively and respect life more, not all gloomy and rigid like before. Also I was happy to see the respectable, responsible Lissa, after suddenly she bears a great task that will change her life forever. Wow, I haven't see it coming, seriously thrilling and crazy!

I'm quite sure most of Team Adrian deeply disappointed with this book, or to be exact, to Rose. I do love Adrian, who's not, and also feel a bit angry to Rose, but somehow I really understand why Rose does it and afraid I would do the same as her if I was placed on hers. Somehow the more I read, the more I was certain that Adrian is not for Rose. Rose seems overwhelming for him, and then he keeps victimizing himself, something I don't like too. But I, from the bottom of my heart, felt really sorry for him, and literally hope Mead would somehow create a happy future and love-life one day. This was the only reason I got an urge need to read Bloodlines really soon (thankfully I've had it far before I got this book. lol)

See, how I can treat fictional characters as a real people. That's the effect of this series to me /=

Overall, well yeah, it might be the end of VA series but Richelle Mead created another spin off series, Bloodlines where we can find more about what happen to the rest 'unhappy' characters from VA (which I found as fabulous as the predecessor!).
I can assure you Vampire Academy is worth thousands praises and stars. It has every incredible and fabulous things you could imagine from a series and I can say this is the best vampire series ever =D. Yet, I'm a bit disappointed why this series hasn't opted to be an adaptation movie yet =(.
Add this series in your to-be-read list would not be hurt and for Indonesian fellows who are still waiting for the translation version, perhaps you need to find another way like I did to read this book, PRETTY SOONER *rawr*!

Happy reading! =D



1 comment :

  1. I absolutely love this series, favourite YA SERIES ever !!!!!!! Glad you enjoyed the last book!
    I really like the Bloodlines series but not as much as VA though ... Great review darling ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)