REVIEW : Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Thursday, September 27, 2012

REVIEW : Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


Anna and The French Kiss

Author      : Stephanie Perkins
Publisher   : SPEAK
Source      : Bought
Pages        : 372

Summary from Goodreads :
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and Ameriban, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home. As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?

Cover Glimpse :
Simple but very sweet =D
I love the background (Eiffel Tower!) and how they place Anna and Etienne at each side, while Etinne only reveals his arm. It's simply lovely.

2cents :
I decided to read this as a little distraction from any kind supernatural and Dystopia novels, I needed a normal reading to keep my mind straight and healthy (lol, hey you know what I mean, it doesn't literally mean supernatural and Dystopia readings do something terrible, except make your imagination goes wilder xD) I already had a high expectation over this book because it has very great reviews and many people recommended this book too me, I highly hoped this would entertain me more than just another ordinary teen romance. Then did this book meet my high expectation? Oh hell YESH! This book is FABULOUS, probably one of my most favorite reading this year. Although it's a teen romance, I didn't find it cliche at all. The story is very well-built and develops in a right pace so I didn't find it in the rush or dragged at all.

Reading this book gave me such a nice feeling, made me so happy, giddy, dreamy and also uber-jealous over Anna, for her luck, getting a chance to study at Paris (the most romantic city in this world, yes?) and also lucky enough to have such a WOW-nderful boy-friend like Etienne St. Clair. Aaaaaah Etienne!!! If only I had someone like him on my high school moment... *dreamy mode on*.
Anyway, beside the lovely premise, the characters also help in building the whole story more 'alive' and believable. I love the nice-one-high-school drama (which is not too cliche nor too mean-girls-vs-poor-girls, something like that quite annoys me), the friendship among the characters and how they maintain it while it faces problems, and especially I love how Perkins knits love between Anna and Etienne. She does very awesome job in step by step improving their relationship from friend to lover. The moments and tension just... wow! Really WOW! I can't spoil them, just read it yourself so you know how I feel. Love it so much!

One thing I also love from the character because they're real. Like a real teen who flaws and does a lot mistake in their lives. Anna is a nice, sweet, very lucky, I should add, and a bit naive girl and I really like her. Like a normal girl, she has insecurities in her mind about some things and mostly about how Etienne feels about her. Sometimes she's also being driven by her emotion and does something she'd regret later. I felt a strong connection to her and I could understand her insecurities very well. Etienne who I adore too much and looks all perfect is not that perfect too. He has some flaws too, physically and mentally. To be honest, his indecision and insecurity quite bugged me and I could not agree with his certain behavior. But again, he's very very awesome and I literally melted over his cuteness, the most awesome boy-friend you'd ever have if he really exist and still one of the most awesome YA boys.
Other characters also give another spices and unexpected moments into the story as well, and I heard they would appear in the sequels. Really can't wait to read more about them!

Overall, Anna and The French Kiss is a must read for fans of contemporary story or simply for those who love very nice-cute story with awesome and believable characters. You'll fall in love with Anna and moreover, to Etienne *squeeeeee!* And of course, PARIS! Because of this book, I dream to go to Paris someday with someone special... ugh, see, I'm all dreamy again! So then, grab it FAST!
Happy reading! =)


3 comments :

  1. YAY I'm sooo glad you loved this one Elisa :) !! It's definitely one of my favourite contemporary reads ... Etienne <3 !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was cute but very frustrating for me. I wasn't that big of a fan. I liked the companion Lola a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to read that this one was everything you were hoping for and more! I've got to read it myself still.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)