REVIEW : Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Saturday, December 24, 2011

REVIEW : Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Thirteen Reason Why

Author     : Jay Asher
Publisher  : Matahati (Mpop)
Source     : Bought
Pages       :

Blurb from Goodreads :
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Again, my first read about Slice of Life novel which unrelated to supernatural things. This book haunted me. It's too real, I was like read person's confession, more like true story than fiction. And it made me couldn't sleep (I read it at 9.30 p.m till 11.30 p.m, and really could sleep well at 2 a.m.) I didn't know, maybe because I can't help but have emphaty toward others. I kept imagine myself stood on Hanna's shoes, so it affected me, disturbed me, made me thought a lot about my attitude and everything I've said to others.
I have to say, if you decided to read this, you have to prepare because this book is very negative, especially when you read Hanna's narrative, but also would give you some lessons (if you're a type who learn something from what you read, like me =p). On reading world, usually I don't really like a main character (I assume Hanna is our heroine here, while we see this story through Clay eyes) who is weak, desperate, and easily give up. But on this book... I did pity Hanna for everything she goes through, how people easily miss-judging her, or everyone, because somebody else's word.

Hanna Baker is a new girl in small town, hope to be accepted, get some good friends at her new place and her new school. But she makes friends and falls in love with wrong people who like to use her for their own good reputation, to play her and all of those ruin Hanna. At first Hanna tries to keeps positive and trust some people, but again their bad reactions make her dissapointed, nobody seems caring about her truly self and willing to hear her, then she gradually lost her trust to everybody else and think she has no reason to live in this world again. And then, there's Clay Jensen, your positive hero here, and very likeable. He is down to earth, not dazzling or flashing, but everyone is kind to him. He has been falling in love with Hanna like forever but has no guts to revealed it. But strangely, Clay who didn't do anything wrong to her before recevies Hanna's only inheritance, a box of 7 cassette tapes and becomes one of 13 persons who become her reason to commited suicide.

You know, me personally think that the best revenge for people who did bad to you is make them feel 'guilty' which is unforgettable and haunting, so Hanna's decision to do something like that is quite wicked and brilliant =p (well, although not all people feel any guilty, like one of person she pointed). At another side, I really mad at her, for her negativity toward people and herself, for her incapability to find good people who will listen to her, and finally her decision to easily end her own life. Her POV beccome worse and worsen, and that's tiring. But in the same time... I understand why she did it and ended with hating all people who force her to did it. I feel and think exactly like what Clay do, angry and guilty, and I believe everyone who face the same case will do the same.

Like i said before, beside a good story, this book gives you a lesson, and important lesson about it's not only guns knives that could kill people. And also, please, please don't lose your hope if you feel like Hanna, because there are many people like Clay out there, who are willing to lend you their ears and shoulders.
This book is really a good read, at least for me so I give is many glasses. You should try this too =)





2 comments :

  1. I really like the first cover you posted. It is very creative. That being said, it does sound like a very sad book. Most people think that bullied/depressed/suicidal individuals can get help easily but that's not the case. It's much harder. Anyways, that was a great review. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply love this book! One of my favorite. Good to know you liked it too

    Esha@ Readaholicme

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)