REVIEW : Wake by Lisa McMann

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

REVIEW : Wake by Lisa McMann


Wake (Dream Catcher Series #1)

Author     : Lisa McMann
Publisher  : Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Pages       : 211
Source     : Borrowed


Blurb :
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....

I was interested to this series for a long time, but decided not to bought it for some reasons. And then, although I have a huge book pile, I borrowed this from my friend one day, and read the 3 books in about 2 weeks.

And yeap. Can't put it down.

My reaction.

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I think I have to get one too, finally ;D


The storyline is uncommon and unique, depressing but addicting. Lisa MacMann is definitely amazing.

We see this story through Janie, a girl with too much troubles in her life. Her mother is an alcoholic and only care her bottles, she has no father (or she assumes so), she lives in poverty and above all, she has a gift but more like a curse to her that she can tell to no one. She can visit people's dream, or uncontrolly sucked and trapped into them since she was 8 years old. School life is even harder to her because a lot of her friends fall asleep at the class during school hours, at the library, at the yard, everywhere. Even her own house doesn't save for her too.

Then there is Cabel Strumheller, a notorious drugs user, loner, goth but turns hot after he changed his appearance. Cabel seems caring Janie a lot with some small treats and hide away his feeling to Janie. He also bears lot of burdens and bad memories like Janie does, after Janie entered his dream by accident.
With keeps wary on him because of what she saw a Cabel's dream, Janie falls for him instantly (and I don't blame her, who won't flatter if you have a sweet hot guy cares you so much ;D) because they have the same condition and they understand each other's feeling.

Janie and Cabel maybe seem so pathetic, but what I like the most is those obstacles make them incredibly strong. I really love to see how their relationship developed, how they always help each other, and very glad Janie finally can use her ability for goods, like Cabel does.

Although there's a lot complains for MacMann's writing style like chopping sentences, raw draft, or like short journal, I didn't find it bother me. I even like it, very unique way to write a story that so deep, heart stirring, and it doesn't make this story lost the plots and the feeling. And also, MacMann use a bit vulgar languages, a bit swearing, a bit adult things, but again it's still okay for me.

This is the original cover :
The cover gives dark and mysterious feeling, i'm so liking it. But I'm not complaining for Indonesia cover though. The drawing is nice, and i love the color combination for it, pale yellow and black.
So, if things above don't disturb you, I fully recommend this series to be at your reading list.
Read.
Now.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)