REVIEW : The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

REVIEW : The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong


The Summoning (Darkest Power #1)
Author     : Kelley Armstrong
Publisher  : UFUK Publishing (Indonesia)
Page        : 460
Source     : Bought

Blurb :
My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.
All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost—and the ghost saw me.
Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House . . . before its skeletons come back to haunt me. 


I really adore the story idea, it's exciting, a bit horror (with ghost and walking death body etc *_*) and dark, about a group of teenager that is being isolated at a place named 'Lyle House' because they have supernatural power, or are naturally supernatural being.
This story centered to Chloe Saunders, and we saw entire story environment through her eyes with first person POV. But thanks to good writing skill, I think we could know the other characters well too, of course from Chloe side, how they interacted to her.

But beside those goods... maybe this first book is as an 'introduction' about the characters and also a process of how Chloe accepted her true identity as one of supernatural being and uuh.. for almost a half book, I felt the story was slow and dragged and I admit, I struggled to finished this. Some review said this has fast pace, but I didn't feel the same way.
I started to enjoyed this again, and even couldn't stop reading it after like 2/3 book.

I find Chloe is interesting, once I thought Chloe like had double personality because we could see at times she was arguing with voices inside her head (and that voice is positive though), or maybe that was her true thoughts since at first she denied her ability.
I totally love Derek! He's my boy type, looks mean but he cares and smart. I read there will a love triangle between Simon-Chloe-Derek and i have to say, I'm team Derek xD.
Cannot wait for the next book, which confirmed to be published next month =D
If you like dark supernatural with a bit horror story, little but cute developed love string, and strong main characters this will be your book. I give 3 star for The Summoning.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your time and giving me your amazing thoughts. I read each one of your comments and I really really appreciate them! ;)